Dieppe, sur le port

Témoignage du voyageur anglais John Evelyn (21 mars 1644)

The port is com­mo­dious ; but the entrance dif­fi­cult. It has one very ample and fair street, in which is a pret­ty church. The fort Pol­let consists of a strong earth-work, and com­mands the haven, as on the other side does the castle, which is also well for­ti­fied, with the cita­del before it ; nor is the town itself a lit­tle strong. It abounds with work­men, who make and sell curio­si­ties of ivo­ry, and tor­toise-shells ; and indeed wha­te­ver the East Indies afford of cabi­nets, por­ce­lain, natu­ral and exo­tic rari­ties, are here to be had, with abun­dant choice.

(The dia­ry of John Eve­lyn, Ed. William Bray, J.M. DENT et E.P DULTON, Lon­don-New York, 1905, Tome 1, p.62.)